Expectations of Africa

Thoughts again from Veronica re: her trip to Africa

Inspired by a couple who have persistently asked – was it what you expected? What did I expect? That is a very good question!


I didn’t expect the sun to rise and expose such beauty – Africa

I didn’t expect to see your treasures you pearl.

I didn’t think I would find the freedom that caused such a lightness of spirit,

I didn’t expect to be loved here.

I wouldn’t have thought I would see such hope amongst the dusty African plains, that in the face of your tiny babe I would know that all would be well.

I didn’t know that poverty could spread so wide across your land but through it I would see that God is faithful to all.

I didn’t expect to see my fear of man so well or to soar like a bird in flight despite the butterflies.

I didn’t know that I would hear your voice so clear in this land,

I didn’t expect the unexpected.

I didn’t imagine you could announce my coming or prepare the ground – that you could have planned this welcome for me.

I didn’t expect such beautiful waterfalls or trees so fair,

I didn’t know you could cause such growth in a land so devoid of care.

I didn’t expect to hear your whisper above the cry of the needy child,

I did always pray that You would be there.

Comments